Monday, 26 October 2015

mathematics

In Mathematics we are learning how to solve maths problems that are written.  The first thing we need to do is to figure out what the problem is asking us to do and then what we should do first.  Here is an example...


Mrs Russell had 3 bundles of colouring pencils.  There were 10 pencils in each bundle.  How many pencils did Mrs Russell have altogether?

First: what am I trying to find out? How many pencils there are when we add all the bundles together.
Next: What should I do first?  Figure out a strategy that can help me solve the problem.
Last: Use my strategy to come up with an answer.
eg I have 3 groups of 10.  I can use skip counting in 10's to add these groups together. 10, 20, 30.
The answer is 30 coloured pencils.

This is tricky business and the hardest part is figuring out what the problem is asking me to do.  Try some at home and see if you guys can use lots of different strategies.
eg skip counting in 2,5,10, doubles, halves, counting on, counting back, adding 10 etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment